History

1924

Margarethe Krupp realizes plans for a housing estate in the city of Essen; it is named "Margaretenhöhe" after her. The buildings of the estate are to be provided with ceramic ornamentation. Hermann Kätelhön, her artistic advisor, initiates the establishment of a ceramics workshop on the grounds and chooses Will Lammert as its director.

1925

"Keramische Werkstatt Margaretenhöhe" is entered in the commercial register.

1927

Johannes Leßmann—student of Otto Lindig, the distinguished Bauhaus potter—succeeds Will Lammert. The workshop switches its manufacturing program to series ceramic production. By strictly adhering to Bauhaus design principles, the workshop lays the foundation for its tradition as a manufactory of sophisticated tableware. It is thanks to Leßmann that the Bauhaus idea finds mass appeal in the Ruhr region.

1933

The workshop moves to a building in the Zeche Zollverein. Krupp leaves the association; new partners are the City of Essen, the Verein für die bergbaulichen Interessen (syndicate for mining interests), and the Verein zur Pflege der Kunst im rheinisch-westfälischen Industriebezirk (syndicate for the cultivation of art in the Rhenish-Westphalian industrial district). Rheinelbe Bergbau AG subsequently takes over the City of Essen's share.

1944

Johannes Leßmann is killed in the war. Walburga Külz—like Leßmann also a student of Otto Lindig—assumes directorship of the workshop.

1953

Walburga Külz, who is responsible for the economic reconsolidation of the workshop, hands the directorship to Helmut Gniesmer. Gniesmer shifts the focus of the workshop's program once more to structural ceramics.

1968

The takeover of Rheinelbe Bergbau AG means that the workshop passes into the possession of Ruhrkohle AG (subsequently RAG Aktiengesellschaft).

1986

Young-Jae Lee and Hildegard Eggemann assume directorship of the workshop. The manufacturing program resumes with the serial production of specially designed tableware and a return to the basic formal principles of the Bauhaus. This is also indicated in the mark found on the workshop's products since 1930.

1987

The workshop moves into the construction warehouse of the Zeche Zollverein (World Heritage Site).

1993

Workshop under Young-Jae Lee's directorship.

2006

Young-Jae Lee takes over the Keramische Werkstatt Margaretenhöhe GmbH from the RAG Aktiengesellschaft and becomes managing director.